19 December 2012

How I came into this wonderful world of...

Correction, "How I get dragged in this wonderful world of...". I can't really say I went into that world consciously.

The world of what?
Novels, of course.

The young me hated books, especially those with a bunch of words and no pictures. I hated books of my mother language even more, resulting in 'hatred of books in mother language'. I always had low grades on my Mandarin tests, and I always get a scolding from my parents. To help me improve the grades, my mom bought me Mandarin manga which costs about RM4.50 (less than 2 dollars)... and I loved them. I have a bookcase worth of mangas, and zero books with many words.

This continued on until I started secondary school, with a new lot of friends and environment. Ya have to change your attitude and hobbies to fit in you know, the girl's gang. Fortunately I wasn't a bit least interested in those gangs, and lot long after I found the group that suits me well, with a bunch of nerds and geeks like me (sorry pal, but we ARE considered nerds and geeks).

The first two have entirely different personalities. If I were to use one word to describe each of them, it would be AGRESSIVE for Ern and NEUTRAL for Khei. They were the ones that introduced me into the world of novels, since they read... a lot. Influence is important in a teenager's life. A few months after the meeting, I decided to finish my Shounen Onmyouji and Scrapped Princess. That is how I 'unconsciously' entered the world of novels.

Before meeting the other two readers, I have a bookshelf worth of novels already. The new two friends joined the group a year later. One word to describe Hooi Shin is RABID and for Little Sheep is... SECURE (why secure, you ask me? It's because she always secures the out-of-control RABID with harsh words). They were quite the readers. If I've not mistaken, both of them read romance novels, as well as Khei too.

You all must be thinking the books I read are romance novels, right? No! I despise them as much as I despise books long ago. I've tried reading some, and they all ended up collecting dust in my bookshelf. The ones I read are NOTHING like those mushy love stories. There are two main genres in my books selection, FANTASY and ADVENTURE. Sometimes a little tint of COMEDY, but overall it's those two genres.

The introduction of this wonderful world had made me read books faster, and what's more, books with a bunch of words and in mandarin. It scares me that how fast a person can change with the influence of friends.

The old me who hates books and would watch anime all day was now gone, because now I have different forms of entertainment, in form of books, games and... art.

No comments:

Post a Comment